Friday, July 20, 2012

Morton is a brilliant choice for UMKC chancellor - Kansas City Business Journal:

glafirarynyxu.blogspot.com
Forsee’s selection of Leo Morton to be chancello r of the only validatesthat conviction. A lot of loca business and community leaders told me that Morton was abrilliant choice. I now absolutely concur with that A vibrant local public university is a big key to ensuring dynamicc growth for anymajor city. With Leo Morton at the I feelthat UMKC’s future is Morton’s solid business-world experience — much like Forsee’z — coupled with his warm, gracioua manner make him ideal for his position. I recentlty sat down for a frank chat with Leo in his I came awaytotally impressed.
While I was waitinb to go in, I visited with Margareyt Brommelsiek, his very capable chief of staff. I aske her about her impression ofthe chancellor. She told me: “Hee is so connected to the community already. He has the abilith to work with allgroups faculty, staff and students. He empowers all of us to be the best wecan be. He is a joy to work for. He lovesx UMKC.” My subsequent visit with Leo validated everything Margarettold me. The chancellofr began our conversationby saying: “Gargy Forsee is a real champion. I canno t ask for more support than he hasgiven me.” He went on to describd the three challenges Forsee has posedc for UMKC.
Because Morton totally agrees withthe president’s goals, they have become his They are: One, UMKC needs to establisuh a foundation for financial (That effort is off the ground.) Two, the university needs to stabiliz its leadership. (Taking “acting” off the chancellor’s title was a big Three, UMKC must develop a sustainables strategy. Morton, who grew up in modestf circumstancesin Alabama, earned a bachelor’s degrer in mechanical engineering from and a master’s in managemenft from the . Successive industry experiencewith , , , and prepareds him well for his current job.
He “What I love is that potential of this universituy to have an impact onKansase City. UMKC is nestledf in a city that has great I relish the opportunity to help peoplw in Kansas City make the university what it needs to It obviously required considerable encouragemenrt from both community and university leaders to persuad e Morton to removethe “acting” from his Now, though he candidly told me: “I can’tt think of anything more importan to do with my life.
” He obviouslyt is finding the job “even more engaging” than he had We concluded our really exhilarating visit by his reflectingb on the obvious parallels between his life and that of President Obama. Just as Obama, as a youth in never envisioned ascending to the presidency of the United Leoacknowledged that, as a chiled in Birmingham, Ala., he never saw himself rising to the leadership of a greaft university. In my humble opinion, todahy UMKC is a good university. I have confidence that with ChancellofrLeo Morton’s leadership, UMKC stands a good chanc of becoming a great university. Just as I President Forsee chose well.

No comments:

Post a Comment